There's a reason why they call it labor!

June 8, 2009

We scheduled the induction for Monday, June 8
th so that Matt would be able to be at home with us for a full week. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30am that morning. I was a nervous wreck on the way there. I just couldn't believe the big day had finally arrived! We, of course, got there about 30 minutes late, and they started the pitocin drip at about 7:00am. I had decided to try to get through the whole thing without any drugs, so we were prepared for a long rough day. However, I had no idea just how rough it would be. I started feeling the contractions at about 9:00am and they weren't that bad at all. They checked me around 10 or so and I was dilated to a four. I was pretty confident at that point that I was going to be able to do it. BUT, about half an hour after that things took a turn for the worse. The contractions got really bad all of the sudden and they were just right on top of each other with no break in between. It was the most unbelievable pain! I tried to get through it but I couldn't even breathe through them. I started hyperventilating and crying. At that point it was about 1:00pm and I just lost it. I decided to go ahead and get an epidural because I felt like I was about to die. It was about 30 minutes before they got to me, but definitely worth it! I still had a lot of pain on my left side after they did it so they had to give me another round of medicine. After that I was completely numb. They said I would be able to feel my legs, but I couldn't even move my toes. It was great from that point on. They checked me again right after the epidural and I was an 8. Then at about 2pm they checked again and I was a ten and ready to push. However, the doctor wasn't ready so I just hung out in the room with my family until about 5pm. Finally, my doctor got there and I could start pushing. It was very difficult at first because I was so numb and the baby was turning the wrong way. Abby was there video taping at that point. I think she was pretty traumatized by the whole thing. Then, after about an hour of pushing, things started to move along. I started feeling my legs again and the baby finally started to cooperate.

So, at 6:19pm, our little one finally arrived!! We are so thankful t
o have such a beautiful and healthy little boy!




No comments:

Post a Comment